Searching for the right Assisted Living Facilities for your loved one can be an overwhelming task. What makes it even more difficult is that it is really impossible for you to visit all 300 of the Assisted Living Facilities Denver has to offer. But, you need to know that they do not all offer the same services and each one has something to offer that another one may not. In order to simplify your search, you need to know just what an Assisted Living residence is. You also need to identify the specific needs of your loved ones and learn what to look for to make your search easier.
Assisted Living Facilities in Denver CO Metro Area
An Assisted Living Facility is one that offers your loved one a chance to live independently while receiving assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADL). Some residents may need assistance only with meals. Others may also need help with showering and dressing. Some facilities provide a range of assistance so that your loved one can stay in the same environment as their needs increase.
Your loved one may be a candidate for a private apartment or need a smaller residential setting. Some facilities offer a more social environment than others. Some facilities may offer assistance with medication which is included in the monthly rate whereas others may charge a separate medication fee. You need to determine the specific needs of your loved one so you can narrow down your choices. This will help guide you in making your selection.
Factors for You to Consider That Will Help You with Your Facility Selection
It is helpful for you to do an honest assessment of your loved one’s circumstances in order to determine what exactly his or her needs are. Some factors to consider include:
- Realistic level of care needed, both currently and in the future. If possible, try to find a facility that will meet the long-term needs of your loved one so another expensive and unpleasant move in the future is avoided.
- Who the person is now. It is easy for family members to want their loved one in a facility that meets the needs of who the person was in the past. Not who they are now.
- Actual quality of the environment and care provided by the facility. It is important to realize that a high price and fancy decor does not always mean high quality care.
- The actual needs and desires of your loved one. Family members may want one thing for their loved one when, in fact, the person who will be living in the facility has different goals.
- Your need to know exactly what the costs will be. You do not want to have any surprises later by discovering that what you thought was an “all inclusive” price is actually a basic fee and everything else is added on.
A Few Items to Evaluate on a Facility Visit
There are many things to evaluate on facility-screening visits. A few things to check for include:
- Cleanliness. You want the place to have a fresh smell. Check on how often housekeeping services are provided and what the laundry procedures are. Be sure furniture has been properly dusted, baseboards cleaned, windows washed, etc.
- Staff friendliness. Observe staff interacting with residents to be sure they are polite and kind.
- Eat a meal there. This is an important aspect for your loved one’s daily life. You want to be sure the food is of high quality.
- Talk with current residents and their family members and ask for honest feedback.
- You may want to call the State Ombudsman for the specific facility you are considering and ask for feedback as to what he or she is seeing, and look at the state health department records.
You Do Not Have to Search for a Facility Alone
Since 2007, Stacys Helping Hand, Inc., has been helping people like you find just the right place for their loved one in Denver Metro Area. We will help you find an Assisted Living Facility that will meet his or her physical and emotional needs and also fit the budget, even if you need a facility that takes Medicaid.
We schedule visits for you for facilities we select after meeting with you and, if possible, your loved one, to identify what type of Assisted Living Facility you are looking for. We provide a number of other services to make sure the placement is the right one. We are ready to be an advocate for you when necessary. Call us at (720) 620-3754 for a free consultation.